Last Updated: Thursday, 18 March 2010
ADLC offers Academy of Reading® from AutoSkill International Inc.
Academy of Reading® is a comprehensive solution to building foundation literacy skills for Grades 2 to 12.
ADLC offers an individualized literacy solution using Academy of Reading® to assist students to
- develop of true love of reading
- increase confidence in reading
- realize fast and permanent gains in basic reading skills
- read more fluently
- increase comprehension
- reduce their fatigue level from reading
Who is Academy of Reading® for?
- Struggling or reluctant readers, Grades 2 to 12
- Students in need of challenge
- English as a Second Language learners
- Special needs students
How does it work?
- Student complete a Reading Placement test that determines the unique list of skills required. Training starts from here.
- Individualized, intensive one-on-one training assists struggling students of any grade level, skill, or ability.
- Positive reinforcement with immediate feedback engages students.
- Existing curriculum and reading programs are complemented.
- Key skills are reviewed, if necessary.
- Students are allowed to progress through the program at their own pace.
- A post-test is given upon completion of all the skills.
Let's work together!
- Student and parent schedule 20 to 45 minutes, 3 to 5 times per week.
- A parent coach or facilitator should be present with the student during lessons.
- Student or coach is in regular contact with ADLC Academy of Reading® staff for assistance with coaching techniques and to discuss student progress.
What will you see over time?
- Students see themselves as readers.
- Sub-skills become automatic, leading toward more fluent reading.
- Reading sub-skills are remembered after they have been mastered. When skills are mastered. software automatically shifts student training toward practising comprehension.
- Because of reduced stress levels, students become less tired during reading activities.
I notice that my son calls himself a reader now. He is much more confident now. He no longer says, "I can't read." He wants to read chapter books like his friends. He will read out loud in front of other people (Nana and Grampa, etc). He likes to correct his sister when she is practising her weekly spelling words for school. He has improved a full grade, I would estimate, in 6 months.
Sherry's spelling is improved. She read almost at grade level but her spelling has always been weak. She is doing much better at de-coding words correctly.
They both like the option to change the online tutor. Sometimes they like the cool blonde guy and other times they prefer the more low-key options.
Donald likes the puzzles that show a picture because he likes the "reveal" and you need to get three correct, not three in a row.
- IBM or Mac-compatible PC
- High-speed Internet connection
- Internet Explorer or similar web browser
- Latest version of Flash Player (minimum Flash Player 9)
- High-quality head phones
For further information or to order Academy of Reading®, phone ADLC toll-free at 1-866-774-5333.
Registration form for Academy of Reading®.