Last Updated: Friday, 28 March 2008
Alberta Distance Learning Centre has a history that demonstrates the response of many committed educators to the needs of Alberta's diverse students and families. From its humble origins in a back office of the legislature to the high-tech workplaces of today, ADLC has provided Alberta students with high-quality educational programming "anytime, anywhere".
Take a step back in history to find what made Alberta Distance Learning Centre the great learning institution it is today. The interactive timeline lets you learn about some of the milestones in ADLC's past.
|Drag the cursor left or right, above or below the timeline to move the timeline.
An experiment in education-by-mail was conducted under the direction of Deputy Minister of Education for Alberta, J.T. Ross. By the end of the year, nearly 100 children had been enrolled.
Two hundred fifty-five new pupils were added, and for the first time Correspondence Branch was used in an annual report.
Mrs. Elizabeth Sievwright was the teacher who assumed the responsibility for correspondence education in Alberta. Mrs. Sievwright was the director of the Correspondence School Director from 1923 to 1930.
The Correspondence School Branch moved into a large office in Edmonton's old Terrace Building.
The Correspondence School Branch produced the Department of Education's first radio series broadcast over CKUA, the University of Alberta's radio station.
The Correspondence School Branch was on the air each night of the school week on CKUA.
To address the upsurge in registrations, 673 correspondence centres were available.
In the early 1970s, the Alberta Correspondence School began to experiment with television to complement some courses.
The Alberta Correspondence School began its first experiment with computer-assisted instruction.
The Alberta Correspondence School relocated from Edmonton to Barrhead.
The Alberta Correspondence School was renamed Alberta Distance Learning Centre.
A pilot project allowed students to submit assignments by e-mail.
Alberta Distance Learning Centre joined with Pembina Hills School Division's Vista Virtual School to create the ADLC Online School.
Alberta Distance Learning Centre was divested to Pembina Hills Regional School Division, which assumed responsibility for the delivery of distance education instruction. Development of distance education resources remained with the Learning Technologies Branch of Alberta Education.
Alberta Distance Learning Centre opened its Calgary office to provide better service to students in the southern part of the province.
Distance Learning Options South (DLOS) centred in Lethbridge joined ADLC.
Distance Learning Options South (DLOS) ceased all its operations in favour of using the services of ADLC.