Is Distance Learning For You?
| Print |
Last Updated: Tuesday, 29 April 2008
Are you looking for learning that is flexible and fits your lifestyle? Learn at your own pace anytime, anywhere....with the support of expert instructors!
Our curriculum provides print and online courses that are exceptionally accessible and flexible. Check out our program and courses.
Take a few minutes to compare the online environment with the other delivery methods at Alberta Distance Learning Centre. Discover which method of distance learning is for you.
Skills Needed by All Distance Education Students
Distance education programs require students to have the following skills:
- time management - Students are encouraged to develop and follow schedules for completing their course(s).
- self-discipline - Students must schedule time each day to work on their course(s).
- resourcefulness - Students are encouraged to use reference materials and to phone or e-mail their teachers for clarification and assistance with assignments.
Skills Needed by Online Education Students
In the online environment, the more computer-literate you are, the less time you will spend learning to manage the environment and the more time you will have to focus on the course content. To be successful in an online course, you need to be familiar with
- sending and receiving e-mail with attachments
- searching the web
- formatting documents
- opening Adobe Acrobat PDF files
- downloading files
If you do not have these skills, prepare for your online course by taking our short course "Introduction to Online Learning".